Excel was commissioned by a global investment bank and financial services organisation to undertake the installation of a full copper and fibre solution for a new EMEA data centre hub in London.
The approved programme involved the fit out and installation of communications services including:
- 120 cabinets; power rails and in-line meters;
- 16 SYSTIMAX Visipatch 360 distribution frames;
- a high level basket tray to support the copper cabling;
- high level Panduit fibre runner to support the fibre trunks;
- copper and fibre distribution systems;
- 8,000 SYSTIMAX Cat 6A copper panel-to-panel links;
- 750 SYSTIMAX Cat 6a copper harness links;
- 250 x 12 Core OM4 fibre trunks;
- 25 x 12 core OS1 fibre trunks;
- voice distribution;
- communications outlets located in the Level 1 offce space; and
- iPatch database build and implementation.
With the project requiring completion within a very tight installation period, implementation was based on a 24 x 7 working pattern. Specific planning measures were put in place to handle any issues arising from the fact that the client’s project management team was based overseas – the significant time difference giving rise to the potential for delays in communication.
Excel’s specialist project team worked closely with both the onsite and offsite client team and other trades throughout the six-week programme. This close liaison allowed us to respond to changes not only in the building schedule but also in the client’s requirements.
Although revisions were made throughout the project, early notifications and Excel’s ‘smart’ project management approach meant were able to keep to our original schedule throughout, completing the installation on time and on budget. The datacentre is now running smoothly and at full capacity